Happy holidays, friends!
It’s that time of year again. I’m sure we’re all recovering from Holiday bloat and COVID testing lines that resemble Supreme drops of yore. And here at the Jenkem office, we’re just thankful that we made it through 2021 in one piece.
We didn’t advertise too loudly, but 2021 was special to us because it was Jenkem’s 10th birthday. Even after 10 years of skate content, there were a lot of bucket list items that we got to do this year, and a big reason for that is you, our faithless readers.
We wouldn’t have been able to accomplish a lot of what we have this year without y’all sharing our interviews, talking shit in our comment section, and sending unhinged DMs, and that’s been true for the last decade. Here are a few highlights from our 10th year that we’re thankful for:
• Watched Brandon Turner switch hardflip Wallenberg
• Found out what some brilliant minds think about skating
• Collaborated with our good friends at HUF and our favorite local dive
• Made our favorite skatepark a playable level in Skater XL
• Interviewed some new faces and some old heads
• Dissected the skate industry more and more and more
• Snuck into the Olympics
• Made the New Jersey and Sweden connection with Fred Gall and Oski
• Met some celebs who skate
• Survived yet another Tampa Pro
• Dropped another record
• Connected with skaters from across the whole god damn globe
• Launched an artsy 16mm film video part series
• Let a bunch of kids talk shit on camera
• Turned our high-school intern into a grumpy critic
For the sake of enjoying the holidays, and keeping us from burning out, we’re going to be out of the office for the next week or so. Your regularly programmed Jenk Content™ will return on January 3rd. Meanwhile to keep you content junkies at bay, here is the worst Christmas song you’ve ever heard by one of America’s most beloved artists. Enjoy!
NERDING OUT WITH THREE RARE DECK COLLECTORS
If you ever wanted to reclaim a piece of your childhood and cop that one deck you saw in a CCS catalog, hopefully, this will be a solid place to start.
A CHAT WITH LUDVIG HAKANSSON, THE OLDEST SOUL IN SKATEBOARDING
The man loves to read Nietzche, skates in some expensive vintage gear, and paints in his own neoclassical-meets-abstract-expressionist style.
THE FRONT BLUNT HAT IS BACK… AGAIN
We know we sound like the boy who cried wolf but this might, just might, be the last chance to get your hands on one.
SKATERS RECOMMEND THEIR FAVORITE SKATE PANTS
We hit up some pro skaters and Jenkem contributors known for their 'fits to offer recommendations.
A MINDFUL APPROACH TO WATCHING SKATE VIDEOS
If you love a video, watch it over and over, become obsessed, notice everything, and move on only when you feel it’s the right time.