Mazel Tov, Jenkem (yeah, your new writing correspondent is Jewish, deal with it).
As it gets nippy and the sun gets lazier and lazier, we figure there’s no better time than now to take a short holiday hiatus.
You wouldn’t want us thinking about content when we should be thinking of ego-crushing comebacks for our family around the holiday ham, right?
Anyways, if you find yourself with some holiday cash burning a hole in your pocket this year, pick up a Vol. 3 book or Front Blunt hat while we’re gone. If you’d rather buy a PS5, we understand, but while you’re playing the new Call of Duty keep thinking of ridiculous pitches for our DM’s.
Thanks for another year of support and tuning in. If we could, we’d send a bottle of champagne to each and every one of you, but that’s not in the budget, so raise a Bud Light, a Modelo, or a seltzer (we got you sober homies) and join us in a cheers to another year wrapped up. We’re saving up some content for January we’re proud of, including a non-skate doc we shot that we’re curious about.
In the meantime, if you are bored AF at home / with the family, scroll on down and enjoy some site highlights from 2023.
• Dragged Jamie Thomas back to that damn stairset that tested his Faith.
• Checked in Efron Danzig and Alexis Sablone.
• Wrapped Jenkem Volume 3 with back to back, bi-coastal bangers.
• Collected beads during Mardi Gras with Nora
• Wished farewell to Enjoi with a Louie Barletta interview and met a skater from his new venture.
• Nerded TF out with Christian Maalouf and found other secret hobbies.
• Interviewed the legendary ringleader of Big Brother, Dave Carnie.
• Watched snowboarders unlock the Hollywood 16.
• Learned about how skateboarding can help kids deal with trauma.
• Laughed as our intern turned writer tried to lose some weight.
• Entered the world of Satan, kind of.
• Deep dove some Gen Z interests like fingerboarding and TikTok.
• Revived the tour video with Adidas up the East Coast.
• Reminded ourselves (and hopefully others) how to watch a skate video.
• And of course, got nerdy about this, that, and yes, the third.
A GLIMPSE INTO THE BAKER HAS A DEATHWISH II WORLD PREMIERE
16 long years later, the second coming of Baker Has a Deathwish has arrived...
REMINISCING THROUGH THE YEARS WITH STATIC ALUMNI
We talked to 12 skaters featured in the long-standing Static series about their memories and thoughts on the videos.
SKATEBOARDING AND SOCCER WITH NEW YORK CITY’S CHINATOWN SOCCER CLUB
Meet the club of skaters, artists and notable locals that have casually played soccer together for the last 20 years.
A CHAT WITH LUDVIG HAKANSSON, THE OLDEST SOUL IN SKATEBOARDING
The man loves to read Nietzche, skates in some expensive vintage gear, and paints in his own neoclassical-meets-abstract-expressionist style.
THE EVOLUTION OF… NYC’S PYRAMID LEDGES
We collected stories from the only ledge spot made out of tiny mini ledges.