Going to your local skateshop for the first time is almost like losing your virginity, it’s pretty awkward and you don’t really know what you are doing. The guy behind the counter seems uninterested in anything you have to say and everyone else in the shop keeps looking at you funny. Never fear! Here are some tips to become a local shop homie in no time:
1. Totally hang out – Everyone knows real homies don’t buy product, real homies are at the shop to chill. Treat the skate shop the same way as you treat your mom’s basement. Lie on their couch, order in chinese food, charge your phone, relax! This will really throw people off- they won’t be able to tell if you are part of “the fam” or just some random dude.
2. Pretend to help – It’s hard to help if you don’t really know what you are doing, but it’s really easy to pretend. The best way to do this is just to periodically pick up random shit and ask whoever is working, “uhh where should I put this?”
3. Impress parents – When parents come in looking to buy little Johnny his first skateboard, make sure drop the F bomb in every other sentence and talk about stuff like getting head. It’s your job to maintain that authentic “urban feel” in the shop.
4. Ask for free product & discounts – You know you’ve made it once you start to receive the elusive shop discount. Until then, don’t be afraid to remind (bug the fuck out of) the store clerk about how you deserve it for totally helping them out all the time, with uhhhh, stuff.
5. Hang behind the desk – In a skate shop, the holy grail of homie spots is behind the desk. But if you don’t work there, it’s nearly impossible to infiltrate. Thankfully people are stupid and there’s an easy trick to make it into the inner circle: Youtube. Mention this “dope video part” you found, and tell them how much they are missing out. Once they are practically begging you to show them, walk behind there, load it up, and as everyone is mesmerized by the screen, slyly perch up on the corner. You’re down for life yo!
10 EXCEPTIONAL SKATEBOARD TRICKS… ON DRUGS
Skateboarders navigate life much like they've learned to navigate the streets on their skateboards, largely by trial and error.
MEET THE MAN WHO SKATED 700 MILES
This guy puts longboarders to shame.
JENKEM MIX 18: THPS
To everyone still trying to get their special meter glowing, this one’s for y’all!
AN INTERVIEW WITH KEELAN DADD AND HIS GIRLFRIEND
Sharing girls, leaving DGK and his $10,000 a month sponsorship.
LOCALS: BUILDING NYC’S NOTORIOUS DIY SPOTS WITH JERRY MRAZ
Whether you know it or not, you have probably seen or skated a spot built by Jerry Mraz