A lot of you are probably already familiar with the little dark corner of the skate Internet known as the SLAP Message Boards. While it’s usually filled with a lot of rants and legendary shit talking, every now and then you come across some genius ideas worth really pursuing.
Recently we stumbled upon a thread by David Galletly, who began working on a chart measuring and comparing some of skateboarding’s most iconic stair sets and gaps.
The shitty thing is that David doesn’t have access to any accurate measurements for any of these spots, so it’s all just a guessing game at this point. We figured if we could get some actual metrics, a detailed infographic like this would be of interest to SLAP and fellow skate nerds like us.
Everyone can pause a clip and count stairs, but we want the real, accurate measurements of some of the most famous gaps and stairs that children and man-children alike have hucked themselves down.
Since these gaps are all over the world (and we are based in NY) we figured we’d try to crowdsource this bad boy with David & SLAP. If you can visit any of the spots on the list below when you are skating next and help out, you’d be documenting skate history forever and we’ll make sure to give you author credit when we publish + send some stickers to everyone who helps out :)
If you’re down to be a part of nerdy skate history, hit us up at staff [@] jenkemmag.com with the details about your spot.
Here’s what you’ll need:
– A tape measurer
– A camera (the one on your phone will do just fine)
– Willingness to nerd the fuck out over details
Here are the spots:
– El Toro
– UC Davis Gap
– Hollywood High (12 & 16)
Matt Schlager’s 13 flat 13
– Canadian Embassy in DC 21 Stair
– Nashville Legislative 17 Stair
Here’s the info we need from each spot:
– Total height (in feet and inches, or metric)
– Total length (in feet and inches, or metric)
– Number of stairs (if it’s a set)
– Height and length of each stair (if it’s a set)
– Anything that makes the spot unique or difficult to skate (is there a big crack at the top that you have to ollie over, or a rough spot on the landing you’d have to ollie past?)
– A couple photos of the spot (w/o anyone skating it)
May 19, 2017 1:23 pm
You guys should include the Macba Gap too, the one off the ledge over the trashcan.
December 1, 2020 1:52 pm
I would add the electrical box drop that spencer barton did too, like 16 feet
May 19, 2017 1:59 pm
Leap of Faith
May 19, 2017 3:37 pm
May 19, 2017 3:45 pm
What about the Big 4 in Atlanta?