Bear with us here, but did you know all of your pro skater idols have a life outside of skateboarding? Wild, right? It’s easy to forget that even the most avid skateboarder has spent more time off their board than on one. So it’s interesting to see how the kind of dogged focus required to enter the upper pro ranks of the skate industry is translated to aspects outside of the stunts and shenanigans that we revere these guys for in the first place.
One such figure infamous for his unbending discipline is Jamie Thomas. We’d heard that the Chief does some kind of hardcore “lemonade cleanse” to get all sorts of toxins out of his body and get himself back to peak performance on a board, but we weren’t sure whether or not to believe the rumor. We knew Jamie was a bit crazy – he makes leaps of faith off buildings for Christ’s sake – but to give up food entirely for two-weeks seemed like a step too far. As someone who can’t imagine the thought of giving up a croissant sandwich and coffee for breakfast everyday, I was curious if Jamie was really nutty enough to do the fast in the name of health – so we called him up and asked.
The rumors are true and, not surprisingly, it’s even more intense than we could’ve thought. We’ll let Jamie do the talking, so tune in below if you want to torture yourself. For your health!
*DUMBASS DISCLAIMER* – We are not doctors, we are lazy skateboarders, so if you do decide to do this, do so at your own risk and don’t try and sue us. Thanks!
More details from The Chief for the psychos out there willing to try this:
I’d like to start by saying this is a 2-week commitment. Please read the first few pages of this text to determine if the Master Cleanse is right for you.
Secondly, this cleanse works great for me, but I am not a doctor and, admittedly, it’s not for everyone.
I prepare 32oz batches of lemonade & drink 2-3 glasses a day.
Recipe for 32oz batch:
– 1/3 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
– 1/4 cup of 100% grade B maple syrup
– Fill the remaining of the container with non-tap water
– Sprinkle cayenne pepper on top, shake it up and taste it. You should be able to taste the cayenne pepper, but it shouldn’t be so spicy that you can’t/won’t drink it.
A few pointers:
– It is important that you poop twice a day to release the mucus & toxins stirred up. Keep wipes with you at all times and pack an extra pair of underwear in case you try to fart end up with an oops poops.
– I no longer do the salt water flush as it is brutal going down and very annoying and repetitive coming out. Instead, I drink laxative tea twice a day; at around 9am & 10pm. This send you to the bathroom about 4-8 hours later. ‘Get Regular’ by Yogi tea is by far the best tea I’ve found at the common store. Tastes ok and is not too harsh on the stomach.
– Traditionally, I lose about 1-2 pounds a day and always do the cleanse for a minimum of 10 days. I have done it for up to 21 days.
How to Ease Into It
This step is very important to the whole cleanse:
– Eat raw fruits & vegetables for a day
– All liquid diet for one day; juices smoothies, ice tea whatever, just no food
How to Ease Out of It
– A day & a half of fresh squeezed orange juice (tastes like liquid gold after the cleanse)
– The second half of the second day I eat vegetable soup with rye crackers; sounds lame, but also tastes heavenly.
– It’s also helpful to keep drinking the laxative tea for a few days after, so you don’t get rock hard poo.
OUR FAVORITE PRO SKATER STORIES SUBMITTED BY YOU
We asked our readers to share their most vivid encounters from over the years. These are just a few of our favorites out of the hundreds you sent.
PHOTOS FROM OUR 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION AT THE JANE
That's right, believe it or not, we are officially a little over 10 years old as a company!
REVISITING THE WATER TOWER OLLIE WITH JEREMY WRAY
We went back to the water towers to re-examine one of the greatest tricks ever done on a skateboard.
PLOTTING THE LIFECYCLE OF A TRENDY TRICK
"Pressure flips are cool again. Actually, their second act has lasted longer than their first did."
SKATERS RECOMMEND THEIR FAVORITE SKATE PANTS
We hit up some pro skaters and Jenkem contributors known for their 'fits to offer recommendations.