For being as creative and out of the box as skaters like to say they are, skateboard videos are still pretty formulaic these days. If you’re making a video, feel free to print this one out to remind yourself what clichés have already been jammed down our throats for the last 10 years.
1. Fuck cops / fighting security montage: We get it. Skateboarding is illegal and pretty badass and we are totally not criminals yo. But for the love of god, how many times must we watch some 17 year old “stick it to the man” and argue with some out of shape mall cop.
2. Shotgunning beers: It doesn’t make you cool and any frat boy piece of shit can do it better than you.
3. Stress montage / Freakouts: I’m having a small freakout montage just thinking about how many times I’ve sat through these freakout montages. Who knew that Kerry Getz would inspire legions of white suburban kids to act like a bunch of whiny annoying babies in public.
4. Film burn effect: This used to be THE go-to effect for your skate video. If you ever needed a little “artsy flair” or some filler at the end of a part, this was the default. I think people started to realize how ridiculous it was and settled down a bit, but there’s always a chance it could come back and rear its ugly head.
5. High 5’s / cheering: I know this might be a good way to humanize your skateboarders and totally show their personality but I think Pretty Sweet had enough of both of these for everyone else to just stop doing them all together.
6. Go Pro angle: This one hasn’t been done to death yet, but it’s coming soon. Just you wait. It’s already been used in the last Transworld video and Bam has already done promotion for them- Which means HIM & CKY fans will be putting on eyeliner and abusing themselves with it in their videos accordingly.
HOW CHAD CARUSO SKATED ACROSS AMERICA
Chad did it the way most skateboarders would: independently and without much of a plan.
JOSH KALIS ON BUILDING AN INDOOR SKATEPARK WITH GRANITE FROM LOVE PARK
"Laying the granite tiles was the most torturous part because you’re on your knees. It was a month straight of doing 1,600 tiles."
WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE OFFICIAL BROOKLYN BANKS COMEBACK
We talked with Steve Rodriguez about the imminent reopening of The Banks, which has been in the works for 13 years now.
JENKEM MIX 126: ANTONIO DURAO
Much like Antonio himself, this one’s got it all… An auditory gumbo, if you will.
MEET THEO HAND, THE PHOTOGRAPHER WHO SHOT ALL YOUR FAVORITE ’90S PROS
Theo helped shape how skateboarding looks in the modern age, documenting names like Chad Muska, Tom Penny & Ali Boulala, all in their prime.
January 22, 2013 1:12 pm
Yawn. Who approves this crap?
January 22, 2013 1:49 pm
February 13, 2013 5:35 am
January 22, 2013 1:13 pm
7. camera angles
January 22, 2013 1:47 pm
This article had potential and fell flat on its face. So much left out. You would think that writing a single sentence after each grievance would give you the time and energy to come up with more than 6 half-assed “things.”
January 22, 2013 1:52 pm
10. people diving from rocks